Under this large section, we have tried to split the resources into three sections: Maps, Cover and Index Diagrams.
The Maps section has detail of all Ordnance Survey mapping in Great Britain & Ireland, a list of European surveys fron the 19th century and an ongoing list of rare maps that The Society holds in its archive.
The Covers section is a ongoing collection of Ordnance Survey map covers and related covers referencing based (by kind permission) on the indexing system devised by Roger Hellyer for John Paddy Brown's book on the subject.
The Indexes have been prepared by The Society and are designed to be printed on A4 paper and may be copied freely for use in map libraries, or for private study or research. Further general resources are listed below.
- OS Map Sheetfinder
- Current OS mapping online
- Current Republic of Ireland Mapping online
- Current Northern Ireland mapping online
- Isle of Man mapping online
- Guernsey mapping online
British Geological Survey A brief history of British Geological Survey (BGS) is available on their website
UK Hydrographic Office Information about UK Hydrographic Office and their archives can be found on their website.
Modern Ordnance Survey Maps
- Modern OS Landranger and Street mapping on CCS website
- Landranger and aerial views on Where's the Path
Historic Ordnance Survey Maps
- One-inch Old Series of England & Wales
- One-inch New Popular Edition of England and Wales at CCS Sheetfinder
- One-inch 1st, 2nd and 3rd edition Scotland and Scottish Popular at CCS Sheetfinder
- One-inch Seventh Series of UK at CCS Sheetfinder
- 1:25,000 Provisional edition of UK at CCS Sheetfinder
- Scotland - all series and scales at National Library of Scotland at National Library of Scotland
- New Popular Edition of England and Wales and Scottish Popular at NPE site
- 1:25,000 of Great Britain 1937-1961 at National Library of Scotland
- 1:10,560 (six-inch to the mile) of England & Wales 1842-1952 at National Library of Scotland
- Ten-mile to inch Planning maps of Britain 1944-1960 at National Library of Scotland
- Seventh Series One-inch maps of Britain 1952-1961 at National Library of Scotland
Other Maps from the British Isles
- Geological solid and drift maps for England and Wales by the British Geological Society (BGS), at one inch scale, old-series
- Open Street Map - Open source map of UK
- SABRE - includes historic OS and Bartholomew maps
- Transport for London - bus, tube, rail and river maps
- Traveline Public transport - maps of all UK and NI
- Streetmap.co.uk - includes OS Explorer 1:25,000 mapping
- MAGIC map – Multi Agency Geographic Information for the Countryside
- Vision of Britain - maps, statistical trends and historical descriptions